- 6-month contract with possible extension
- Contract extends past Christmas
- Large government organisation
This government agency is looking for a Network Engineer who is still hands on and has solid design experience. They are preparing their network for telephony experience, but is NOT looking for a Telephony Engineer. The role is for an initial contract of 6 months but there is a definite possibility of extension – this is just how government works. Below are further requirements.
- Improving bandwidth to WAN sites. This involves replacement of site routers and carriage upgrades leveraging either NBN services or carrier fibre services.
- Preparing the network for IP Telephony. With the discontinuation of traditional copper
services, many of the telephony services employed by agencies are migrating to IP telephony solutions.
- To support the telephony projects a switch replacement project has commenced for a large number of sites employing IP telephony handsets.
- To replace ISDN services to SIP carriage service for Corporate Telephony and Triple Zero services.
- To complete these projects the programme is seeking Network Engineers to work with the internal team on the physical and logical designs, transition planning, services migration, configurations, installation and decommissioning of the legacy infrastructure, production of as-built documentation, and handover to BAU support for ongoing management.
- Efficient analysis of current state networking implementations across sites varying in size from small (single user) to very large (thousands of users);
- Modification of current state as-built design materials to reflect a desired ‘to-be’ state in line with newly updated network design standards and equipment types;
- Development of bill of materials to guide a third-party vendor in building of network equipment for shipment to sites and subsequent installation;
- Development of ‘soft’ network equipment configurations in line with the desired ‘to-be’ state for staging by third party vendors or for remote deployment via Element Management Systems;
- Development of detailed implementation plans and test cases where necessary to inform the required steps to cutover efficiently with minimum disruption to business operations;
- Active participation in on-site cutovers of network equipment replacing obsolete network equipment;
- Provision of remote support and trouble-shooting for site cutovers where required;
- Update of network design materials where necessary to reflect final ‘as-built’ configurations (post implementation);
- Development and test of new network-related deployment ‘capabilities’ if required;
- Record-keeping to ensures an accurate register of high value assets and their whereabouts can be maintained;
- Staging and testing of equipment to specification where required; and
- Update of Enigma/Netbox records pertaining to site infrastructure where required.
- Experienced in the programming and deployment of multi-vendor networking equipment (Cisco routers and Juniper and Cisco switches);
- Demonstrated proficiency in some or all of the following the switching and routing protocols and related technologies:
o OSPF, BGP, MPLS, VRF, VRF-lite, VLAN
o Quality of Service,
o Spanning Tree,
o EtherChannel (LACP), VRRP, HSRP
o Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
- Strong problem-solving skills in relation to the resolution of network-related technical issues especially when under pressure;
- Able to work effectively with third party vendors (equipment manufacturers, integrators) in the delivery of project outcomes.
Highly Desirable Requirements
- Hands on with configuration and design.
- Experience with Juniper, Cisco networking equipment (MAN and WAN routers and switches);
- Experience with IP telephony and SIP trunk carriage solutions (as an add on – not as your primary experience).
- Minimum of 3 years ‘hands-on’ experience in a network design and implementation role within an operationally complex organisation preferably sustaining the delivery of mission-critical or public safety services;
- Minimum of CCNA or vendor equivalent network design proficiency;
- Experienced in the operation of Network Element or Network Management Systems (Junos Space, Enigma);
- Design and implementation of site MAN and WAN connectivity using Telstra, Optus, NBN and dark fibre services;
- Provisioning of LAN Access Control (802.1X, MAB) from both a design and implementation (roll-out) context;
- Knowledge of Service Levels and Service Level Agreements as applied to critical network infrastructure;
- Handover of network-related project materials into operational support environments;
- Previous experience in large scale ICT Projects and Programs; preferably involving multiple Government Agencies;
- Experience in delivery and co-ordination of projects with large numbers of client sites;
- Meticulous record keeping to develop and maintain an accurate register of assets and their whereabouts;
- Change management experience particularly in an ITIL environment;
- High-level of proficiency with MS Word, Excel and Visio.
Tender closes on 23 October 2019. Statement of suitability to be completed on 22 October 2019.
Shana Coetzer | 0450 050 076
Alternatively, please send your CV in Word format to email@example.com.